The One-Straw Revolution: An Introduction to Natural Farming (New York Review Books Classics) - Masanobu Fukuoka Every once in a while, we chance upon a book that we finish it in one sitting, and wonder why we did not find it earlier. Every once in a while, we chance upon a book that makes us think "Exactly how does any one else not think like this?". A book that introduces a new paradigm.. a new dimension to our world view. The new paradigm may or may not be one with which we are comfortable.This outstanding book by Masanobu Fukuoka is one such. And the new paradigm it introduced to me is both comfortable and fills me with hope. It's even more remarkable Fukuoka did what he did in Japan, of all places, that in the sense that the Japanese are the sort of people who are likely to use the most modern methods anywhere possible, and are the sort who obsess with order and conformity! They even produced cuboid shaped water melons! Fukuoka has a message for them:).Consider this: Agriculture is thousands of years old. Diverting Riverine and Canal water for Agriculture is relatively recent phenomena. Now we are already experiencing irrigational challenges across the world in general and South Asia in particular. How are we going to manage?Fukuoka answers this question. But before that, he asks that question on our behalf. And many other questions. And he answers them. Well.Whether his exact methods are practicable elsewhere is obviously open for debate, but the direction he shows is one we, the human race, cannot afford to ignore. A must read from me.